Tips, News & Updates
Entry Requirements for Foundation Courses in the UK
- October 11, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Study Abroad
If you are not yet prepared to take admission in a university and you don’t meet the criteria, then you should get enrolled in a foundation course. You will not only get help in preparing for future career studies, but your language skills will be improved as well. No matter whether you have poor English or don’t have sufficient education, foundation courses in London are the way to go. The foundation courses in UK are designed specifically to cover the study gap and help you in pursuing your dream studies.
How Can Foundation Courses in UK Help You?
If you have done O levels and want to skip A levels, then getting into a foundation course is the perfect alternative. When you will be done with the 1 year foundation course, you will be able to compete with the rest of the candidates for your favourite university. On the other hand, if you have done A levels but haven’t gotten good grades due to any reason, then you should also opt for a foundation course. As the foundation courses are specifically designed for international students, you will find yourself more personally confident. Here is how a foundation course in London will help you:
- If you want to pursue a particular degree or you have a specific career in mind, then the foundation course will be focused on that. It will help you in polishing up your key concepts so you can be prepared to take admission in that particular program.
- As you will be an international student, there are high chances that your English is not fluent. However, in order to study abroad, you have to brush up your language skills. The foundation course in London will help you a lot in improving your English.
- You will get familiar with the educational and academic system of the UK. If you don’t know how things work and what to expect, then a foundation course is perfect to get your familiar. You will know about each and everything from assignments and quizzes to examinations etc.
- For most of the students, adapting to the new environment is a big challenge. They come from different cultural backgrounds and adjusting to new people and a new way of life presents a huge challenge. However, taking up a foundation course offers an easier transition to the new environment.
Language Requirements for Foundation Programmes:
In order to get admission in a good foundation program in the UK, you will need to meet the language criteria. No matter whether you plan on pursuing humanities, engineering or any other science, you will have to meet the minimum threshold. Although the criteria varies from university to university and program to program, but every single program requires you to obtain at least 5.0 band in the IELTS test. The better your score is, the higher your chances will be. In some of the programs, the only criteria is the language criteria therefore, you cannot ignore it in any case.
If you are worried about getting 5.0 band, then you should know that it is not very difficult to get this band. Even if your English is basic but you don’t make any mistakes, you will be good to go. As it determines your chances of getting into the foundation course in UK, it is important that you prepare for the test beforehand. Whether you get accepted into the program or not depends upon your English proficiency required for that particular program.
Academic Requirements for Foundation Courses:
Although the criteria requirements depend from course to course but most of the basic academic requirements are almost the same. For most of the courses, universities look for your high school graduation degree. As educational programs are different all over the world, you will have to show an equivalent degree. Your record should also exhibit your interest and hard work in the studies for the subjects that you are planning to pursue in the future. Due to the differences in the educational systems, the minimum criteria are different as well. When you are applying for the programs, you can check their websites to confirm the criteria.
If you have passed the standardized test at the end of your high school, then the foundation courses in London will consider that test.
Tips for Choosing the Right Foundation Course:
Although there are a lot of universities that offer outstanding foundation courses for international students, but you have to find the one that is right for you. Here are a few pre-requisites that you should definitely check beforehand:
- If there is a particular university that interests you for a graduation degree, then try to get yourself enrolled in its foundation program. It will increase your acceptance chances for getting admission in the graduate program later. For example, if you want to pursue engineering or a similar technical field, then choose a university that excels in engineering studies. If it has an impressive history of innovation, research and technological achievements, then it is the way to go.
- Before you choose a program, you should read everything on it including the reviews of the previous students. It will give you an idea of whether the program is right for you or not. You should also take a look at the success rate of the university. If a lot of students from that university have managed to scrape a place in a graduation program later, then it is a good sign. Otherwise, you should just look for other available programs.
- The program you should emphasize and pay attention on the future under grad program you want to enrol into. For example, if you are planning on getting into nursing, then the foundation course should teach you the pre-requisites for nursing. It will make you better prepared for the degree later.
If you still have problem figuring out the best program for you, then you should meet with the international educational experts in your area. They will have a lot of experience in the field and will be able to help you our better.